Friday, May 19, 2006

Fridays seem to come fast these days...

Another week thoroughly conquered and shuffled into history. I've always detested that Office Space Friday mindset where everyone you bump into greets you with a "happy Friday!" These days, stacked with work, school and exercise, I find myself one of those people, blithely struggling through the week with just a glimmer of hope at the end of the rainbow.

Is it wrong to think it's strange to truly enjoy less then half of your life? I enjoy school as much as anyone who goes back after a break (i.e. I enjoy it more than most, less than some) but, to be perfectly honest, I'd much rather spend my mornings with a paper at a coffeeshop in Coronado, my afternoons reading and writing of my own accord and my evenings sipping syrah on my porch, listening to music before falling asleep to a good movie. Holy crap, I should retire!

Clearly flying off-topic... anyways, what I mean is that I certainly enjoy life, get out of it as much as I can and love the progress but I just hope it all pays off. And I don't mean a 7 figure paycheck, I mean financial stability, a career I love and the time to do what I want to do with my life. I work very hard and have been working few hard for several years with no intention of slowing down. I'm really not looking for any guarantee, just a feeling that the light at the end of the tunnel is really there, taht jumping through hoops is a phase you get over. I have no intention of retiring at 40 or 50 or even 60, I just want to work hard on my own accord, on my own projects... on my book and my own theories and my project car.

I really do need to retire, crap.... how much do I have in my wallet?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

..."book"??? Do tell. Is that meant to be a generality inescapable with the coming of age, or a reference to an acutal project in the works? We both know how my plans to get published remain a mere memory (thought not completely defunct). Sigh. BTW, like the new blog color scheme. Many thanks from the Ritalin-poppers of the world :)

-Kat

Anonymous said...

So I'm sick at home. Saturday night. Time to catch up on your blog. Remembered this article from a couple years ago, tracked it down. Thought you'd appreciate it: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/pacificnw/2003/0727/cover.html

Doing my best to contribute to the real topic of this blog.

-K